MADD is accepting applications for their Youth Advocacy Internship Program!
You're the one willing to ask tough questions. You often raise your voice in moments of injustice. You dive into creativity to address challenges. You value the lives of your peers. You pay attention to your health and well-being. You know you can make a difference. Here is one way to do just that. MADD Colorado's Youth Advocacy Internship Program is designed to give young voices the opportunity to be heard. This program provides a space for you to share perspectives on underage drinking and substance use prevention in Colorado.
Interns take a personal stand against drinking before age 21 or riding in a car with someone who has been drinking. They are committed to helping others do the same through planning and implementing community outreach activities and event, school awareness campaigns culminating with MADD's Red Ribbon Week in October. Interns will assist in planning and providing operational support of MADD Colorado's Law Enforcement Recognition, three Walk Like MADD events and Red Ribbon week. Interns with also shape our youth programming to increase MADD Colorado's relevance to the next generation it serves.
Youth Advocacy Internship Program is a 5-month volunteer commitment that includes:
- Participation in 4 out of 5 meetings (one meeting can be via telephone)
- Participation in 3 out of 4 MADD events and Intern Excursions
- Potential excursions: District Attorneys’ offices, Sentencing hearings, the Capitol, Police Departments, Department of Transportation.
- Opportunities to participate in projects/activities (e.g. engaging with local police departments, school presentations, Colorado Youth Drivers Alliance etc.) to address the needs of the prevention community and educate the public on the value of underage drinking and substance use prevention
To be eligible for participation in the group, you must be:
- Ages 15-18
- A Colorado resident
- In good standing with your school
- Drug-free (this includes alcohol, marijuana and tobacco)
Students who complete the internship will walk away with leadership skills, an understanding of the legislative process, community engagement experience, and letters of recommendation for college and future employment.
Check out the MADD Youth Advocacy Internship application here! Applications are due on April 30th, 2018!
Questions? Contact Rebecca Green at firstname.lastname@example.org