At CDC’s Injury Center we are committed to ensuring that all Americans are safe from injury and violence. Our priority areas – adverse childhood experiences, overdose, and suicide-- are strongly linked to mental health, well-being, and resilience. Our work is more critical than ever given the impacts of COVID-19 on individuals, families, and communities across the nation. The U.S. Surgeon General released a new advisory on protecting youth mental health. We hope you will read the message below to learn more.
The U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy is calling for immediate action to address the nation’s youth mental health crisis. The Surgeon General’s Advisory on Protecting Youth Mental Health shows how everyone has a role to play in protecting and promoting the mental health of our nation’s youth.
- Recognizing that mental health is an essential part of overall health
- Empowering youth and their families to recognize, manage, and learn from difficult emotions.
- Ensuring that every child has access to high-quality, affordable, and culturally competent mental health care.
- Supporting the mental health of children and youth in educational, community, and childcare settings. And expanding and support the early childhood and education workforce.
- Addressing the economic and social barriers that contribute to poor mental health for young people, families, and caregivers.
- Increasing timely data collection and research to identify and respond to youth mental health needs more rapidly. This includes more research on the relationship between technology and youth mental health, and technology companies should be more transparent with data and algorithmic processes to enable this research.
We encourage you to share the news on your personal or organizational Twitter or Facebook handle. Here are some sample social media messages:
- Anxiety, isolation, and loss due to the #COVID19 pandemic have all impacted the #MentalHealth of our country's children & their families. @Surgeon_General's #YouthMentalHealth Advisory is a call-to-action with steps we can all take to support our youth. www.surgeongeneral.gov/ymh
- Being a kid is hard—and the pandemic made it harder for many. @Surgeon_General's new #YouthMentalHealth Advisory calls for a whole-of-society effort to promote and protect the mental health our country's young people, with steps YOU can take to help. Learn more: www.surgeongeneral.gov/ymh