The Colorado Teen Driving Alliance, with support from state public health, has created an online parent course that provides step-by-step instruction on how to support their teen through Colorado’s Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) laws, which are designed to phase-in beginning drivers. This course was prompted by a new CDPHE survey of 738 parents of teens throughout Colorado, which showed that only 6.4 percent of parents could accurately identify each component of GDL laws, including curfews, passenger restrictions and seat belt requirements.
The course includes three modules:
- Overview of Graduated Drivers Licensing Laws
- Teaching Your Teen to Drive
- Creating a Parent/Teen Driving Contract to Reinforce Safe Driving Behaviors
Resources for the course include the following:
- Parent Graduated Drivers Licensing Brochure
- Teaching Your Teen to Drive Manual
- Teaching Your Teen to Drive Checklist
- Parent/Teen Driving Contract
- Sample Parent Pre-test Survey for the Teaching Your Teen to Drive Curriculum
- Sample Parent Post-test Survey for the Teaching Your Teen to Drive Curriculum
To print postcard size promotional materials for the course to accompany other parent educational materials, use this document.
Spanish print versions of the materials are available below. A Spanish version of the online course should be available by Summer 2014.
- Parent Graduated Drivers Licensing Brochure (Spanish)
- Teaching Your Teen to Drive Manual (Spanish)
- Teaching Your Teen to Drive Checklist (Spanish)
- Parent Teen Driving Contract (Spanish)
For more information on teen driving safety, go to COTeenDriver.com.
*Parent Survey Results on Knowledge of GDL